Thursday 4 April 2013

Initial export of ideas and questions

Despite all intentions of uploading and creating blogs time has a habit on running away...especially when I set aside the spare few hours I have to study I realise the reading and literature research could be a full time job. I am finding some very interesting articles and exerpts of various lines of enquiry...yet these lead to other exciting ideas that I perhaps hadnt thouhgt about. If only I could investigate all. The having to narrow all down to one specific idea has been a tricky concept for me to follow, as I dont want the choice I make to be one that I wish I look in heinsight.

As I am enduring a transition within my career, from perfromer to teacher, I thought this would be a great way to keep the investigation to run parallel to my practice. Moving my career in a new direction is taking me out of my comfort zone so understandably not always finding myself in a poitive state of mind. With converations with Jo Clarke, Paula and fellow professionals within my networks, I am confronted with a wall of doubt where my initial inquiry thoughts are in question. They have given me an outside view of how they see me and my ideas that I am aiming to challenge, and all seem to agree that as there is negativity present within my actual 'transition' that I am experiencing. I should perhaps look at it from a different angle alleviating extra stresses on myself and my work. I mean one less stress I face (that is actually a result of my own choices) is surely a bonus, right!?
As I had set my mind to the transitioning dancer and finding the balance for myself I must admit I was shaken up buy this. ...Im sure in a good way in the long run.

Originally my ideas were to look into the transitioning dancer in...

  • How the balance between necessary 'survival' jobs (ad-hoc and menial jobs just to pay the bills) and the work of our passion (performing, creating new work, enhancing my professional skills etc) can be achieved with the right ratio for 'you'. How are you juggleing each line of your practice with the 'other' work you do, without excluding any further chances to keep performing, for instance?
  • Seeing cuts within the arts council, and the specific 'sharing' of funds between the larger companies how has the reduction of opportunities affected you and your practice?
  • Do other professionals who are seeking contracts and new dance jobs find themselves teaching to keep a grasp on their practice, as it is easy to fall away due to financial difficulties.
  • Have you also noticed a rise in unpaid work? How do these 'job' opportuites make you feel, as to some it can make a mockery of the profession, yet to some it shows that to dance you have to love it in any format that it may arise?
  • Does the finacial restrictions lead to a flash of new companies being created by individuals? Does this interest you into achieving something similar, a way you can be certain you are still doing what you want to do within your practice?
  • Is teaching classed as the next best thing for you in this time and place within your career transition? Is it a direct career choice or is it cirumstantial outcome, fall back plan? Can you 'share' your time between keeping up with your professional skills/abilities and development, whilst creating your teaching strand to your career?
  • How are teachers that have come from a professional performing background percieved in an educational teaching role? Is it better to have the experience before the academic qualifications to make a better teacher, or the vice versa...are teachers with the relevant degrees (fr instance) before the experience make for a better teacher? Does being a great dancer mean you are a great teacher?
  • Why are you undergoing a transition in your career? Could it be finances, injury, personal investigations and developments, or complete change in direction?

Looking at the above it seems these questions all relate somehwere to the shift in income and struggle of balance that dancers may face. As broad as the questions are and as it is what I am 'living' right now maybe I can afford to cut down the extra ideas (to avoid going off on a tangent, or trying to cover all of these areas, hence making for a sparse set of reasoning and findings) and find a different way in...
A more positive way!!!

I would be interested in seeing whta others think about these initiail ideas.



4 comments:

  1. Hayley, Great to see you Blogging.
    Whilst I remember, this is Stephanie Thomas' Blog who is studying "Polymathy":
    http://stephaniethomas-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/starting-module-3.html
    It may be worth taking a look as it may ring a few bells or trigger some similarities of where you are in your transitional period...
    Has the blogging helped in this instance? It sounds as though you are making good progress.

    Perhaps take a look on Summon (via the Library Tab on UniHub)and search for the subjects you are experimenting with and questioning?

    Another module three BAPPer who is researching the training required to become a teacher is Kelly Everitt.

    I hope this helps & I hope your classes are going well.
    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sorry Jo, I think I reposted instead of creating a reply to your comment...It should be on here though)

      Delete
  2. Thankyou Jo, I will indeed take a little look. Classes are going really well too, thankyou for asking. If only I can create the ideal balance, haha! My constant moan there!

    Following conversations and small discussions with other dancers I know, I think I am going to further look into what initiates the career transitions. What the reactions people have (if it is by circumstantial reasons especially), how they take on their particular change in direction and what support there is out there for the dancer in these instances.

    One theme I may wish to loook into is that of rehabilitation; Having personally sought the much needed support when suffering for an injury, during the performance years of my career...I was in a grieving process and like many was unsure how to take what was happening into a positive light. I was at a loss and fought daily to keep spirits high, with only a negative view on my situation from one choreographer in particular. Having taught a student with injuries since, I now realise there can be a lack of understanding in this phase of the career. Psychological support teamed with physical rehab of the injury is vital...it is too very much part of the professional devlopment in a dancers practice.

    In an environment where we are faced with constant pressure of perfection, critical judgement and fear of failure, I think somewhere an emotional/physical, financial and experienced helping hand will not go a miss. Now to see what is actually accessible to us.

    Who knows how this will work out...or even where I should aim my Inquiry title...(????) but hopefully all will click in to place.
    Am I even on the right lines? Hopefully so as I have a little quest to investigate forming :-)

    Hope to speak soon
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hayley,

    So great to see you blogging again! How has everything going? I see you are looking into career transitions, this is a topic I am also researching. Though my inquiry focuses more on the transition into media I reviewed some literature that was relevant to dancers moving on due to injury, together with the psychological and emotional impact this had, The reviews are on my blog together with a link to the articles themselves if you would like to take a look?
    Its such a broad but interesting topic, I've found myself overwhelmed with information on occasions!
    Looking forward to read more of your inquiry, hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete